- Students are encouraged to leave their cell phones at home.
- AHS assumes no liability for lost/stolen cell phones.
- AHS assumes no liability for any damages to a cell phone while on campus.
- Students are not allowed to use cell phones during the school day.
- Students who choose to bring their cell phone to school, must silence/turn off the cell phone, and place it in their locker.
Students are expected to arrive in school and arrive in class on time. Excessive tardiness will not be tolerated.
Attendance and Makeup Policy
North Carolina Public Law requires a student less than 16 years of age to attend school.
It is the student’s responsibility to submit a written excuse to the office within 3 school days
with the following information: Student’s name, date of absence,
reason for absence, parent/guardian signature.
According to the State Code for Lawful Absences, the following reasons constitute valid excuses
for temporary nonattendance of school. A note from home will not automatically constitute a lawful absence.
- Illness or injury
- Death of immediate family member- parent, grandparent, siblings,guardians
- Medical/Dental appointments- accompanied by doctor’s note
- Court related or Administrative proceedings- accompanied by acceptable documentation from the court system.
- Religious observances
- Educational opportunity- will be granted if approved by administration 5 days in advance
- College Day (2 days per year) - juniors and seniors request prior approval through Guidance 3 days in advance.
Making up classwork does not erase absences. After 8 absences, lawful or unlawful, a student will fail the course unless a waiver is requested. Students may request, in writing, a waiver if there are extenuating circumstances and documentation of those circumstances can be provided. Waivers will not be granted for unlawful absences.
After School Activities
- Teachers will be in their classrooms from 2:50 - 3:30 to give students assistance on Tuesdays and Thursdays except for days prior to holidays.
- Athletic Practices and Meetings will be held after 3:45.
- Students leaving campus should not return until after 3:30.